Hire an AMGA Certified Guide or Accredited Program
The Value of Hiring a Guide
Hiring an American Mountain Guides Association (AMGA) Certified Guide or Accredited Program can help you learn the essential skills of mountaineering or turn your dream climb into a reality.
AMGA Certified Guides come from many different backgrounds and have a variety of talents and ambitions but one thing unites them all: the desire to rise to their full potential, excel at what they do, and become the best mountain guide they can be. AMGA training allows mountain guides to realize these desires. As the sole U.S. member of the IFMGA (International Federation of Mountain Guides Association), our certified guides have undergone rigorous training and examination that meets and exceeds international standards.
Building a relationship and getting involved with an AMGA Certified Guide or Accredited Program is a great way to gain mastery of climbing and skiing technical skills or reach the summit of your heart’s desire. AMGA guides bring a unique set of characteristics to the mountains. With a combination of great personality, a focus on maximizing client reward, excellent teaching ability, and emphasis on safety, our guides are sure to improve your mountain experiences.
The AMGA certifies individuals in the following disciplines. For a summary of the terrain guidelines covered by the certification and a complete list of the certified guides in each discipline please click on a link below.
In addition, the AMGA also accredits guide services and climbing programs. For a complete list of these programs please click here: AMGA Accredited Programs
Ten Reasons to Hire a Certified Guide or Accredited Program
- Training – AMGA Certified Guides undergo some of the most intense training and examination anywhere. Certification by the AMGA indicates that an individual has been assessed to the standard of an internationally recognized, professional body.
- Professionalism – AMGA Certified Guides and Accredited Programs are leaders in the climbing and guiding industry. Theses individuals and organizations are dedicated to excellence and conducting their business in the most professional manner.
- Experience – Many AMGA Certified Guides and Accredited Programs have been immersed in the mountain guiding trade for over a decade. Furthermore, they have an intimate knowledge of the areas they guide in.
- Quality – AMGA Certified Guides undergo their training with two key factors in mind: becoming the best mountain guides possible and delivering the greatest reward for their clients. This translates into the highest quality experience.
- Safety – AMGA Certified Guides and Accredited Programs make safety their prime concern. They are trained to recognize objective hazards such as avalanche danger, rock fall potential, and bad weather. In addition, AMGA Certified Guides are drilled in self-rescue skills.
- Personal Attention – AMGA Certified Guides and Accredited Programs are dedicated to delighting clients. Their priority is understanding and delivering the skills and summits clients’ desire.
- Comprehensive Guiding - The AMGA certifies guides in alpine climbing, rock climbing, and ski mountaineering. Whatever the terrain or however difficult, there is an AMGA Certified Guide or an Accredited Program that can lead the trip.
- Teaching – AMGA Certified Guides are some of the best educators in the field. They work to understand a client’s learning style and then adapt instruction to provide a personal experience that allows clients to excel at any endeavor.
- Value – AMGA Certified Guides and Accredited Programs appreciate how important mountain experiences are for their clients. These guides and organizations strive to build personal relationships and provide great adventures that create positive memories to last a lifetime.
- Environmental Awareness – AMGA Certified Guides and Accredited Programs understand how fragile the mountain ecosystem truly is. Exploring the high country with an AMGA guide will instill an appreciation of the travel skills required to leave the mountains in good condition for future generations.